Boiling Springs was first settled in the 1740s, when the now famous grist mill was established. In the years that followed, a local iron industry also grew along its seven-acre man-made lake.
The village was formally founded in 1845, after which it began to grow well into the 19th century. Before the Civil War, Boiling Springs was also one of the stops on the underground railroad.
Panorama by Alan Chaffee Photography