This two-story building, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was built in 1863 for $5,044 by the Cumberland Valley Railroad for stationmaster George Zacharias and his family.
The house had fallen into disrepair after serving for many years as a railroad baggage building by the Cumberland Valley Railroad and Railway Express Agency.
In 1976 MMA began restoring the home, furnishing it with antiques and reproductions from the period. The restored building typifies homes belonging to middle class families in provincial Pennsylvania in the late 1860s.
The Stationmaster's House at one time was owned by the Mechanicsburg borough and leased to the Mechanicsburg Museum Association for an annual 'rent' of four strawberries, in recognition of the home's Strawberry Alley address.